BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 170
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Reels.....Favorite reel brand?  (Read 28866 times)

Offline sbg

• Bluegill
  • Bullet20dc is my hero.
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Reels.....Favorite reel brand?
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2016, 10:41:43 PM »
Lol. She was just tryin to show yall how to catch some of those Bama fish. Lol
'06 Gambler 2100
250 XS Mercury

Offline bullet20dc

• Smallmouth Bass
  • politically correct impaired
  • Referrals: 2
    • hvbm.org
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2016, 07:46:28 AM »
"haulin water "  ok now thats funny right there dunt care who ya r   (urock)

now play nice wit David     Hey we gotta do that Gville thing again some day
but I remember the day or 2 after we left that campground place u stayed at got leveled by tornadoes   is it still open

Ranger Z521C w 250 SHO

Offline transamz9

• Bluegill
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2016, 07:54:53 AM »
"haulin water "  ok now thats funny right there dunt care who ya r   (urock)

but I remember the day or 2 after we left that campground place u stayed at got leveled by tornadoes   is it still open

Yes they are open but I doubt I will go back there if they still have the same policy. I'm not going to put my 42' 5th wheel in a 30' spot and have to have my boat half way across the campground in another spot. I never understood how they could take reservations but can't guarantee a certain spot. My rig won't fit on just any site. (fp)

Some Memories................

« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 09:19:12 AM by transamz9 »

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2016, 09:02:47 AM »
well that splains y u dunt ketch squat tranz  u gotta walk a frog an a dog

I believe I've skunked David bout every time I've fished with him. heck, his woman got in my boat on the big G-ville (his home lake) so she could be put on some fish. LOL! She got tired of hauling water.  :rolleyes:

(stirthepot) (pcd)

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Play hard, Fish harder!!!!!
    • Club website
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2016, 09:35:45 AM »

yepper, now that was a great time fer sure, no matter how grumpy Tranz has become, that place treated you better than the big rock that you tried to move with your 75' train in KY campground!
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax
Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel

Offline transamz9

• Bluegill
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2016, 10:09:15 AM »

yepper, now that was a great time fer sure, no matter how grumpy Tranz has become, that place treated you better than the big rock that you tried to move with your 75' train in KY campground!

Now Frug, You need to get the story straight. My train actually at that time was 82' and I pull it with a Ram Cummins so I didn't try to do nutin'. If I hadn't stopped it was going over the big rock. ;D

Yeah the fishin' was tough that week but Dale Hollow has been pretty good this year. We were there last weekend and did pretty good. We have 2 more trips scheduled for there this year. My FIL wore the Crappie out this past weekend.

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
    • Club website
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2016, 10:22:56 AM »
Back on topic  (whew) I have one of many different brands, and some are MUCH more reliable than others in my experience. Why so many different brands, you ask? Mostly price, but also a few were chosen for specific purpose.

Anyway, I've come to really like the Browning's now hard to find version of what has been rebranded as the BPS Carbonlite - the one with the dual brake system. The browning is heavier because the frame is metal vs. carbon, and as such the gears stay aligned better, but the shine of the reel is it's tun-ability of braking - yea I know you guys say just thumb it, but with gloves on I can't so I let the reel do it's job - this thing will fire a compact heavy lure or a sail/kite spinnerbait with ease with a minor tweak of the brakes, so it's a great multi-purpose reel in my fleet.

The other favorite is BPS Pro-Qualifier - there have been a few variations over the years, and even the JM gold series - these overall have been the absolute most durable and reliable and require the least amount of maintenance to maintain consistency.

A close second to the JM reels is the Diawa line, many bash Diawa but their Magforce system is excellent, it's rated good or better in slow, medium, and high speed control by many (see https://japantackle.com/tackle_topics/brake_system.htm this article on brake systems, it's quite informative. I've got 5 or 6 different Diawas and they all are excellent - just don't quite have the flexibilty of the Brownings, but since I can't find the Brownings anymore, it's back to JM or Diawa.

My least favorite is Shimano - I've had 2 and both have similar issues - the static spool speed knob (some call it casting drag) will not stay set, it goes for 20-30 casts set perfect then all of a sudden it's all of at least a full turn off setting the next cast, and I'm not a fan of taking a reel side cover off to 'pop a centrifugal button' to adjust the brake, so until they change that no more for me.
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax

Offline sbg

• Bluegill
  • Bullet20dc is my hero.
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2016, 01:47:37 PM »
Wow yeah that was some good times!  Seems like it was forever ago too.
'06 Gambler 2100
250 XS Mercury

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
    • Club website
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2016, 03:24:04 PM »
Wow yeah that was some good times!  Seems like it was forever ago too.

And I still have and wear the T-shirt!
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2016, 09:27:45 AM »

My least favorite is Shimano - I've had 2 and both have similar issues - the static spool speed knob (some call it casting drag) will not stay set, it goes for 20-30 casts set perfect then all of a sudden it's all of at least a full turn off setting the next cast, and I'm not a fan of taking a reel side cover off to 'pop a centrifugal button' to adjust the brake, so until they change that no more for me.

I've had ZERO trouble with the spool brake adjustment on any of mine. But removing the side cover to adjust the centrifugal brakes is a royal pain in the butt  :nod:

Overall, though, they have treated me very well, with no problems or failures whatsoever.

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal