Bass Boat Mods > Jackplates

Hyd Jackplates..........

<< < (5/5)

RedAllison:
Maybe I'm to late now to this party but I've had hydro plates on my bassboat since my first Allison (back in Feb 99) & will NEVER have another bassboat without one! They make it so easy to adjust for conditions with the flick of a switch. (& yes, while not absolutely necessary, I HIGHLY recommend a gauge, they assure consistancy & quick repeatability & reference.)

Max performance rigs like my Allison obviously can utilize a hydro plate but not just for outright speed as many would assume. Lightweight lake racers & even full on drag boats DONT need hydro plates because they are used under similar conditions with similar loads day in day out. So a hydro plate is just more money, weight & something else to go out. But a bassboat is used under very differing conditions, loads & water types & that is when a hydro plate shines! With a manual plate you have to adjust it to hit "the best medium/all purpose" spot, that by definition is not maximizing any one specific end of the spectrum. As I said, the hydro allows you to set the plate for optimization right now and change within an instant as conditions change.

For example, fuel load gets lighter as the day goes on, you can raise it. Maybe you decided to empty the live well, less weight again means jacker n up & get jiggy with it! What about if your buddy calls at the ramp, he got off work at lunch & wants to fish with you for the rest of the day? What about that front coming in & the water kicking up? Better lower it then. THATS when I use my plate the most, I lower it all the way down when the spring winds blow on KY Lake & Pickwick! My boat seats 4 as well, when there's a butt in every seat the plate goes down for better prop bite.

You can likewise raise the plate full up which requires less trim & enables the boat to idle thru shallow water without as much of a trimmed angle. AND DONT FORGET, if you run a hydro plate then YOU BETTER also have a water pressure AND temp gauge lest you might torch your motor! (fp)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version