BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 191
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: BPS house brand line...  (Read 8006 times)

Offline RedAllison

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Referrals: 0
  • My Biggest Bass: 9#13oz. Mar/04, MS. Jig&pig
BPS house brand line...
« on: February 20, 2015, 01:07:53 AM »
I've got over 40 rodsNreels between all my bass, crappie and "buds/guest" rigs I keep around so annual line replacement CAN add up!  (whew) What I decided to do several years ago was switch to the BPS Excel for all of my monofilament. (I have the bulk spools of the clear mono in 6 thru 17# sizes). I've been using this stuff for now probably 6-7 years and I've had ZERO problems with it. I was told years ago that BPS Excel is contracted thru Berkley/Stren anyway, before that I mainly used Stren for nearly 20yrs and tried Suffix a few times before switching all the way to Excel.

I use Floro on about 6 rodsNreels (mainly my bottom bumpers/jig/plastics rigs but I have used it on a few crankin rigs as well). When I switched to Excel mono I likewise began using BPS XPS Floro (which sure looked like Seguar's spool and line!). For bottom bumping I use 17 & 20# sizes. For cranking I used 10 & 12# sizes. I pretty much never use braid anymore because floro is nearly as sensitive, has low stretch as well and the thing I REALLY like is it's invisible! This year I've gone even cheaper and decided to spool up my floro rigs with Spiderwire EZ Fluoro from Wallyworld. I've only fished with it a few times in my farm lake but so far it's been as good as the XPS. I'll wait until the fall and a full season before making a "ya or nay" recommendation on this line!

I mainly use braid now only on my lure retrievers (giggle) But I do have a couple of flippin stix that I still have braid on that I toss A-rigs and jigs on when I rarely use those rigs. For alot of years I used Powerpro braid and then switched to BPS XPS braid. There's just no doubt you can't beat braids strength and sensitivity but I just felt that on the pressured waters of KY Lake and Pickwick, I felt the fish can see braid in many instances and feel floro works better in such cases. 

On my crappie rigs I use BPS Crappie Max, 10# chartreuse colored. WOW is it great for jiggin, I "see" many more strikes than I feel. It's likewise strong enough to straighten the gold jig hooks out instead of breaking off during a snagup!

BPS doesn't make anything, they are just so big they can contract with the industry bigs to have stuff made for them so most of their lines are indeed "big name, big $$$" lines but you CAN save money without paying for the big name! (Plus wth, buying their brands adds up quicker on the bonus card!)  (yes)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 01:13:06 AM by RedAllison »
AllisonOwners.net

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
Re: BPS house brand line...
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 06:26:39 AM »
I too use Excel mono.  I get it in 5000 yd spools for about $12 at the catalog outlet.
If you're too busy to go fishing you're too busy!!

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 11:24:29 AM »
I used the BPD Excel for several years and had no complaints. I eventually went to Berkley Big Game on most of my baitcasters and Stren on my spinning outfits.

The past few years I have started using more Sufix Siege on my baitcasting setups, although I do still use some Big Game.

And I use the BPS 100% Fluorocarbon with absolutely no complaints whatsoever.

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Jimmy RodandReel

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 08:55:10 PM »
 (yes)  (yes)   I use the 6pnd for 99% of my shakey head fishing. I like the stretch/Shock absorption of the BPS mono for my SH.
And like said above it don't break the bank.  (yes)

Offline Wizard

• Bluegill
  • Deep water angler on highland lakes
  • My Biggest Bass: 13+ lbs on a jig in the tules/California Delta
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 07:13:53 PM »
I've never had a problem with BPS line. The jumbo spools of Excel are reasonably priced.
Ozark angler and proud of it!

Offline Tom G.

• Minnow
  • It is what it is
  • My Biggest Bass: 9.6 LM 5.0 SM
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 08:19:31 PM »
I've used Excel for a long time, and it is one of the best values out there.  I won't be changing from Excel anytime soon. (y)

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal