Bass Boat Maintenance & Repairs > Bass Boat Trailer Maintenance

Roller bunks instead of flat bunks

(1/4) > >>

RedAllison:
A couple of years ago I decided I wanted roller bunks on my stump jumper (96 Lowe 160) for easier launching/retrieval on makeshift ramps (or even no ramp at all). The existing flat bunks were a little over 8ft long. I had to search but I found a place online in MN that had 8ft roller bunks. They work PERFECT, don't even have to submerge the trailer if you can't or don't want to, just put the rear out over the water & S L O W L Y winch the boat out into the water. Retrieval is just as easy. Only NO-NO is you CANT unhook the bow eye until you are ready to get the boat wet because it WILL roll off the trailer!

Loading is no problem as I always unhook the fuel line & run the gas out of the motor anyway. I pull the boat up onto the trailer, leave the motor in gear while running so it will hold the boat up. I then unhook the fuel line, hook the boweye to the winch, run the fuel out, then winch the boat all the way up & pull on out. (I lost my pics on my phone last week as my phone decided to go swimming in my lake, so I found pics online of the bunks I have.)

Bullet3119:
 (y)

Mitz:

--- Quote ---Loading is no problem as I always unhook the fuel line & run the gas out of the motor anyway.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---run the fuel out, then winch the boat all the way up & pull on out.
--- End quote ---

That's one heck of a trick!  (y)

Curt:
Definitely great info. My concern would have been whether the rollers might dimple the bottom of the boat or not, but based on the pics you posted, it looks like the rollers are wide enough not to do that.

And then you get the added benefit of never having to worry about wood bunks rotting out on you  (y)

RedAllison:
Curt I wondered about that myself but honestly I wasn't worried about the bottom of my ol stump jumper. I WOULDNT consider roller bunks for a glass boat or maybe even a high-perf tin boat like an Xpress but for a plain ol beater they're fine. My bunks are 8ft long instead of the usually shorter bunks with mini-bunks or a roller under the bow so the weight is spread over a longer area of the bottom.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version