Lure & Rod Building > Rod Building Forum

Some of My Work (Just for fun) - Pic Heavy

(1/1)

Jake Grey:
I fiddle around in the winter with some stuff for myself and Judy.  Here's a few pics of the stuff that didn't end up in the dumpster:

Replaced broken reel seat and handle on my old favorite Fenwick:

Built the rod making/threading jig that I use with all parts from Lowe's:

I made myself a little finesse spinning rod on a green blank with a Jamaican coin in the butt cap that I got while visiting my daughter who was living there at the time:

Made Judy a Pink Lady spinning rod with "holographic" guides that turned out to be her favorite rod until I made the mistake of buying her a GLoomis SJR 722 IMX for her birthday last year:

It passes the time during these Ohio winters.

Jake

Jimmy RodandReel:
 (y)  (y)

Curt:
Really like that coin in the butt of that one rod. Very unique  (y)

Jake Grey:

--- Quote from: Curt on February 21, 2015, 11:55:38 PM ---Really like that coin in the butt of that one rod. Very unique  (y)

--- End quote ---

Thanks Curt.  There are a couple funny stories behind that coin.  My daughter was living in Kingston, Jamaica doing research and attending the University of the West Indies as a Fulbright Scholar under their Ministry of Agriculture (sorry, had to throw in that proud pops moment) back in 2003.  I wanted an uncirculated Jamaican coin about the size of our penny to use as a butt decoration so I went to a bank to do a currency exchange.  That was a whole howdy-ya-do finding uncirculate coins and the minimum exchange was something like $50 US so now I'm walking around Kingston, Jamaica with about $500 Jamaican cash in my pocket which if you've ever been to Kingston is not too smart.

But I have my shiny coin, dated 2003.  It is their 10 cent piece which is roughly the equivalent of our penny in value.  Anyhow after I mount the coin I want to cover it with epoxy.  Getting it level was the challenge so I'm in our basement on a step ladder devising a way to hang the rod from the ceiling, tip down, and I pour the epoxy on the coin and it self levels.  Two coats and it is still as shiny today as back in 2003 when I bought it!   :)

Jake

Curt:
Cool story @Jake Grey  ;D ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version