Bass Fishing Forums > Bass Fishing Tips & Techniques

School me! swim jigs/swimming a jig

(1/3) > >>

Bullet3119:
Alright let's hear your tips, suggestions, what to do, and what not to do on swim jigs and swimming a jig. I will admit it's something that I've never really tried. Looking to try it some this year, looking for advice.

Curt:
I've only done this a small amount, but I do know it can be deadly at times.

When I have done it, I will typically cast the jig out and then begin a medium speed retrieve, giving it a short little pause or twitch every few seconds to see if that will trigger a strike from a following bass that I might not know is there.

I know a lot of buys like to use craw style trailers, but I tend to go against the grain and use a twintail grub instead. A swim jig is supposed to be imitating a baitfish more than a craw, so using that twintail grub creates more swimming action than a craw trailer can, imitating a baitfish better.

I'm sure there are tons more things that can be done with this setup, but that's what I've learned about it so far.

Bullet3119:
That's pretty much what I planned on trying.  (y)

JackJ:
It's predominately what I throw most of the time.    I use something like a Dirty Jig swim jig, with a Paca Chunk Senior or a Zoom Ultravibe trailer in the grass thrown on 50 lb braid.    For outside the grass I will throw a bladed swim jig with a swim bait type trailer on heavy fluro line.

Swim jigs are great because you can throw into the grass and still pull it through, and that's where it really shines.

Bullet3119:
Do you use them with success when grass isn't present at all?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version