BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 256
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Some topwater action on a Ribbit  (Read 46265 times)

Offline Scott McGehee

• Minnow
  • Referrals: 0
    • My Bass Life
  • My Biggest Bass: 13 pounds 14 ounces
Some topwater action on a Ribbit
« on: February 27, 2015, 08:44:32 AM »
With all the snow in MS this week, a little cabin fever has set in.  Thought I'd warm things up with a little topwater action.

Visit my blog at http://www.mybasslife.com
And my YouTube Channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/ScottMcGehee?feature=mhee
or follow me on Twitter @mybasslife
or on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/ScottMcGeheeFishing

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Re: Some topwater action on a Ribbit
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 09:00:40 AM »
Great video @Scott McGehee!

The Ribbit is my favorite frog for sparse lily pads and submerged weeds.

One little tip, though. Something I learned a few years ago is to use a hook with a screwlock on the front. It keeps the frog in place and increases the life of the frog by at least 1000%. Seriously.

Instead of tearing up a frog on one or two fish, I'm getting a dozen or more fish on one frog now.

The Zoom Horny Toad hooks work great!

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 12:52:38 PM by Curt »

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Jimmy RodandReel

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 09:12:49 AM »
 (y)  (y)      Getting the blood flowing!  (y)

Offline Alan S

• Guppy
  • Mr. Doucheaux
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 10:29:17 AM »
Anybody that doesn't like to fish topwater doesn't have a pulse. (y)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 12:57:19 PM »
@Mitz was actually the one who turned me on to those frogs.

We were fishing a club tourney and we started the morning off about 50 yards from each other on the same point with some submerged shallow weeds.

I wasn't getting hit at all, but every few minutes I would hear a blowup over near his boat. After hearing this at least a half dozen times, I hollered over and asked him what the heck he was doing to get that kind of action. He motioned me to come over, and being the nice guy that he is, he proceeded to show me what he was throwing and then handed me a bag of them, along with a pack of hooks.

I tied one on and used them for the rest of the day, going on to catch a few bass and a monster Northern Pike on them.

The funny twist to this story is that I went on to take second place in the tourney, ahead of Mitz. And all of my fish that day were caught on that Ribbit frog  (yes)

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Whopper

• Bluegill
    • Whopper Baits
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 01:30:22 PM »
We use this hook on our frog. The hook goes into the frog on top and allows it to go through the slop better. Also lets you hook in several different places as the frog tears. Same concept for swim baits, we just turn it over and hook in the bottom. Lets the swimbait wobble freely and allow you to catch more fish on one bait. I have a video someplace with bad audio that I will post. Once caught 32 schooling fish on one hollow body swim bait using this hook.

Offline Whopper

• Bluegill
    • Whopper Baits
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 01:38:39 PM »
The video I spoke about. The bait was destroyed but I still couldnt throw it off. 

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 02:48:54 PM »
We use this hook on our frog. The hook goes into the frog on top and allows it to go through the slop better. Also lets you hook in several different places as the frog tears. Same concept for swim baits, we just turn it over and hook in the bottom. Lets the swimbait wobble freely and allow you to catch more fish on one bait. I have a video someplace with bad audio that I will post. Once caught 32 schooling fish on one hollow body swim bait using this hook.

Cool design @Whopper! Are they available without the weight on them?

Offline Whopper

• Bluegill
    • Whopper Baits
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 04:04:28 PM »

Cool design @Whopper! Are they available without the weight on them?

yes

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 04:11:52 PM »
That's awesome @Whopper. I didn't see them listed on your website, so do I just contact you to order them without the lead on them?

Offline Whopper

• Bluegill
    • Whopper Baits
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 04:15:59 PM »
The keeper is universal and removeable. It can be used on any hook. I have always sold on swimbait hooks and used on frogs for myself. You can just send me a message if you want a few.

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal