Bass Fishing Forums > Bass Fishing Tips & Techniques

Some topwater action on a Ribbit

(1/3) > >>

Scott McGehee:
With all the snow in MS this week, a little cabin fever has set in.  Thought I'd warm things up with a little topwater action.

Curt:
Great video @Scott McGehee!

The Ribbit is my favorite frog for sparse lily pads and submerged weeds.

One little tip, though. Something I learned a few years ago is to use a hook with a screwlock on the front. It keeps the frog in place and increases the life of the frog by at least 1000%. Seriously.

Instead of tearing up a frog on one or two fish, I'm getting a dozen or more fish on one frog now.

The Zoom Horny Toad hooks work great!

Jimmy RodandReel:
 (y)  (y)      Getting the blood flowing!  (y)

Alan S:
Anybody that doesn't like to fish topwater doesn't have a pulse. (y)

Curt:
@Mitz was actually the one who turned me on to those frogs.

We were fishing a club tourney and we started the morning off about 50 yards from each other on the same point with some submerged shallow weeds.

I wasn't getting hit at all, but every few minutes I would hear a blowup over near his boat. After hearing this at least a half dozen times, I hollered over and asked him what the heck he was doing to get that kind of action. He motioned me to come over, and being the nice guy that he is, he proceeded to show me what he was throwing and then handed me a bag of them, along with a pack of hooks.

I tied one on and used them for the rest of the day, going on to catch a few bass and a monster Northern Pike on them.

The funny twist to this story is that I went on to take second place in the tourney, ahead of Mitz. And all of my fish that day were caught on that Ribbit frog  (yes)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version