BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 178
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: What's one more rod in the pile (drop shotters?)  (Read 6186 times)

Offline RedAllison

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Referrals: 0
  • My Biggest Bass: 9#13oz. Mar/04, MS. Jig&pig
What's one more rod in the pile (drop shotters?)
« on: February 28, 2015, 01:52:40 AM »
LOL the beauty of having ALOT of rods is that if you can sneak them in the house without being discovered, then you are home free as the wife wont notice one more in the rack! (giggle) So lately I've been considering getting a new eggbeater specifically for "drop shotting". Jeffro, Neal, Duane and a few other buds of mine have used it with great success but I haven't done that tactic yet. So yesterday I was at Academy and went thru everything they have and thought I was "sold" on the Duckett Ghost (I have 2-3 Duckett casting rods and really like them). I knew I was most likely going to get a 7ft but couldn't decide which power I wanted, a Med/Lite or Med? After trying several I realized it truly depends on which rod and "speed/action" you were looking at as to which "power" felt the best. Some rods a M/L was good and then on some a Med was ok. Like I said, I left thinking I was sold on Ghost.

Then today I stopped in to kill some time at my local Gander Mountain and happened across a "Clearance" rod rack! So anyway I start looking, feeling and toying with every 7ft spinnin rod they had on the rack. (It was a 2 sided rack) So then as I walked around the rack to the otherside one caught my eye. It was a St. Croix Rage, 6'10" Med/Lite, Ex Fast with a trick handle (neoprene?). MAN did it feel good and it was marked down from $150 to $99!  (y) So I grabbed it and kept it with me while trying others. I already knew which reel I'd put on it, as I have several at home. (Shimano Spirex 2500 front drag, my FAVORITE egg beater, I like the dual handle and "ol skool" trigger bail) So I walked over to the reel section, grabbed a Spirex and hooked it all up... SOLD! Also on the rack for the same price were two other Rage spinnin rods, one a 7'1" Med and a 7'1" M/H, both were fast action, but they were bigger, heavier blanks and just didn't feel as good as this lil 6'10" ex fast for what I'm gonna do with it. (I have several St. Croix casting rods, I LOVE my Avids but wasn't ever hip on a Mojo I bought, but it broke a couple years ago and I didn't even bother sending it in. S&H was going to be nearly as much as a new rod so I sawed it back near the handle and now have a nice, lightweight, super sensitive, split handle butt with an ol ABU junker on it that I rigged another lure retriever on! )

LOL now I gotta buy some actual drop shot tackle to put on this thing!  (giggle) But I'm looking forward to prying the points and drops of Pickwick and KY Lake with it soon!  8) It just amazes me how continually lighter and lighter the rods get each year and how smaller and smaller the reel seats are!  (hmm) I swear I can feel the woodgrain on the floor with this thing. I hope I can feel'm "think about hittin it" as my gdad usta say!  ;)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 11:35:46 AM by RedAllison »
AllisonOwners.net

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Re: What's one more rod in the pile...
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 09:45:06 AM »
Sounds like a good find  (yes)

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Jimmy RodandReel

Re: What's one more rod in the pile (drop shotters?)
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 04:44:15 PM »
I have not used any of the Rage(SCI-II) blanks.

SCIII 76MLXF
 7'6"
ML X-Fast 1
4 - 10
1/8 - 3/8

This is the St. Croix blank I am building for myself for fishing SH and DS's.
My Old SCIII 7ft is getting old and tired looking so its time to build me something new and shiny.  8) 8)

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal