BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 223
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Thermocline????  (Read 6660 times)

Jimmy RodandReel

Thermocline????
« on: March 04, 2015, 08:12:43 PM »
If someone here has a real good explanations of fishing and using the thermocline to your advantage........I'd sure like to hear it.  (hmm) (hmm)

Offline Wizard

• Bluegill
  • Deep water angler on highland lakes
  • Referrals: 0
  • My Biggest Bass: 13+ lbs on a jig in the tules/California Delta
Re: Thermocline????
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 08:55:41 PM »
Thermoclines have more relevance in highland lakes then skinny southern waters. As fishing pressure and climate change is occuring, the forage and bass have moved to offshore structure or into the middle of the main lake channel. LOZ was clear cut before filling in the 1930's. With no offshore structure move to, the forage schools into huge formations in the mid-channel. This is starting to happen on other deep lakes. Few as yet are fishing for suspended bass in mid-channel. I do fish for them and have for many years. The thermocline is a guide--not a rule. Generally, the bass stay around the cline BUT, they have to feed and the forage is often below the cline in mid-channel. What I've observed is the bass go below the cline to feed and then return to better depth conditions.The oxygen level drops below the cline. True statement. However, if there is enough oxygen to support the forage, there is enough oxygen for bass to use long enough to feed. What I've stated works for gizzard shad not threadfin and is for highland lakes. 
I used to fish the southern trails and there are many lakes deep enough for schools to form. Gizzard shad are in almost every lake in the country. Threadfin stop about the Ark/Missouri border or about the 40 degree water line.
My best morning fishing the mid-channel pattern: first 9 bass caught were all over 4 lbs. The big females have moved offshore except for the spawn.
Ozark angler and proud of it!

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal