BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 181
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Super Easy Maintenance Tip  (Read 15833 times)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Super Easy Maintenance Tip
« on: January 24, 2015, 05:37:27 PM »
Many boat owners only think of adding fuel stabilizer to their gas tank for winter storage. But it's actually a good practice to add stabilizer every time you add new fuel to the tank!

Most gas nowadays has ethanol in it, so it doesn't stay fresh very long. Adding stabilizer year round will help maintain the integrity of your gas and help prevent damage to your fuel system.

So try to get into the habit of adding a small dose of fuel stabilizer every time you add gas  ;)

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Jimmy RodandReel

Re: Super Easy Maintenance Tip
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 06:10:31 PM »
Yes Sir! I have used Sea Foam in my Yammy and the past few years Merc Quick clean since day one. After 15 years my compression was 111-104 across 6cyls and the tops of the pistons were very clean and the ring were also very clean.

I use Sea Foam in every tank and the Merc Quick clean #2 every other tank full.

Offline smiley2uall

• Guppy
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
  • My Biggest Bass: 7+lbs LMB
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 10:37:03 AM »
I switched to Star tron for my regular additive. We have a very few select places to still buy ethanol free, but I still use additive.
Plus the occasional Sea Foam too.  (y)
<')))x<
RM 1:16

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 04:22:38 PM »
A Merc tech told me that with Quick Kleen I would not need any stabilizer plus I fish all year long.
If you're too busy to go fishing you're too busy!!

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 07:23:03 PM »
A Merc tech told me that with Quick Kleen I would not need any stabilizer plus I fish all year long.

My personal opinion is that stabilizer should be added every time you put fuel in your tank. It's a safeguard that doesn't cost much and could save you some cash in engine work down the road.

Your friend could be right, but I think I'll err on the side of caution  ;)

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline ring fry

• Guppy
  • My Biggest Bass: 10.25# Purtis Creek, Eustace, Texas
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 02:41:52 PM »
I add one ounce per 10 gallons of Stabil every time I put gas in.  The bottle fits nicely behind the trolling motor batteries.

SE Kansas grass grower
ROCK CHALK

Offline getfished

• Premium Member
  • Minnow
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 09:50:53 PM »
I dose mine with stabilizer sometimes. I do use Quik Care and Quik Kleen every tank. 1 oz of each per 5 gals.

Offline RedAllison

• Smallmouth Bass
  • My Biggest Bass: 9#13oz. Mar/04, MS. Jig&pig
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 04:45:27 PM »
ethenol, cornjuice, crapgas whatever you call it, it's all CRAPOLA!  (angryman) I hate running it but it's just so hard and expensive to find real gas anymore, I gave up lookin for the real stuff and run ethenol in everything. My wife and I have 3 autos we drive constantly so the fuel in them gets burned out so I don't put stabilizer in it every tank. My oldest son and my daughter are teen aged drivers as well so their autos likewise don't sit. I just run a bottle of B12Chemtool in each a couple times a year. (which is mainly acetone and MEK so it's STOUT stuff, but you don't want it sittin in the tank or fuel system. I put it in my stuff only when it's going to all be burned out in a day or two)

I do however have some toys and equip that DO sit between uses so I do keep the fuel in them treated. On my farm I have my Lowe 160, a 1980 K10 pickup and my 70hp 4x4 Kubota (turbo diesel) so I keep Stabil Marine in the Lowe and pickup (1oz per 5gals). In the Kubota I keep Stabil's diesel treatment in it and likewise run a bottle or two of Diesel Kleen in it a couple times a year. At home in the garage I have my Allison and next to it sits my 1972 SS454 Chevelle (yes, real W-code 454 car). I keep the Allison tank treated with Stabil Marine and then use the B12 a couple of times a year. In the Chevelle I don't run it enough to trust using the gas in it most of the time. (It was my dads, I bought it from him in 2008 and I guess I'll keep it forever just because it was his. Despite a few close calls, he's still around luckily!) Most of the time when I run the Chevelle I drain the entire tank (which I keep treated with Stabil Marine as well) and end up dumping that fuel in one of our daily drivers. I see Stabil has a new "360 whatever" stabilizer that coats the entire tank, I might get a bottle of that for the Chevelle starting this spring.

My bro Todd Bucknell of Hydromotive Props is a distributor for ACES additives and they've had AMAZING results in their 2.5 and Drag motors so I might hafta start using some of that ACES in some of my toys!  (yes)
AllisonOwners.net

Jake Grey

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 05:28:22 PM »
I dose mine with stabilizer sometimes. I do use Quik Care and Quik Kleen every tank. 1 oz of each per 5 gals.

Same here for my Mercury 150 ProXS.  They have been reformulated the last couple of years and no longer contain alcohol I'm told.

Jake

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal