Bass Fishing Forums > Reels

Reel Drag

(1/3) > >>

Jimmy RodandReel:
As a fisherman........Do you concider your reels drag performance of importance to you?

Me:
Yes VERY important!        I demand that my reels drag have a silky smooth feel no matter how tight or loose I have it set.
I cant stand a drag that jerks and jumps. This puts a lot of stress on your line and will cause you to lose fish.
  I now use aftermarket drag washer in all my reels and I still believe in backing off my drag when the reel in not in use. With today's newer reels many feel that its not as important as it once was, but I still feel that the drag washers need a time to "rebound"  is the best word I can find for it.

Bullet3119:
Yes, yes, YES! Haven't always paid a lot of attention to it, until it costed me BIG TIME at Ky Lake. Now it is at the top of my priority list!

Jig Man:
I used to change them but haven't since I bought new reels a couple of years ago.  I do loosen the drags at the end of the day.  I mostly fish light line so I keep my drags pretty loose to avoid breakoffs.

RedAllison:
I guess I'm more finicky about the drag on my spinnin reels because of the lighter line but once I set the drag on my baitcasters for the day, I never touch it again until the end the day when I put them away and yes, I then back the drag off on ALL of my reels.

Wizard:
Pretty much the same for me. If I respool on the water I will reset my drag. It's important to take the tension off at the end of the day. Whe I was tournament fishing I would respool everything each evening. Even if I hadn't used the reel. Now, I check my line on each bass but unless it picks up too much memory, it stays on for several days.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version