Bass Boat Forums (by boat brand) > Astro Bass Boats Forums

1990 Astro Quickfire 18FDX

(1/2) > >>

Jrsmith_80:
Here are a few pics of my old boat.  Its in pretty rough condition as of now, I plan to post progress pics right here in this thread as the wok begins.  I purchased it a couple years ago and have not done a thing to it since.  Its a project that I am going to start working on this fall/winter.  Im going to have the seats redone and then I am going to put down some new carpet and a recessed trolling motor foot control tray.  I purchased to supplies to start working on the oxidation this morning.  The motor is a Mercury Blackmax 150 that has never let me down and runs great.  I love this boat, its pretty heavy but handles the rough waters of Kansas pretty well.

ranger361v:
Yep a little clean up and that boat will be sharp.. (y)

Curt:
@Jrsmith_80 Can't wait to see the progress pics!

For seating, I have heard nothing but good reports from people who bought their seats from www.bassboatseats.com  (yes)

Jrsmith_80:
Well I jumped in and started wet sanding the boat today.  I got his a boat a couple of years ago and I am certain that it hasn't been waxed in years.  It is amazing what a little "elbow grease" will do! (whew) I am pretty sure it will never shine like new again but this will probably as close as it will ever get.

I started out with 1000 grit sand paper but quickly jumped to 800 grit for the first pass over the bottom half of the boat.  I must say it looks 1000 times better after sanding then it did yesterday when I washed it, in preparation for the shading.  I have not applied any wax, polish etc... to the boat as of yet, this is all just wet sanding.  I am also just doing the bottom half of the boat for now as it looks a lot worse then the top half.  Here are some before and after pics of the sanding.  I have two more sanding sessions yet to go with 1500 and 2000 grit sand paper.  Hopefully I will get to put a couple coats of paint moisturizer on it tomorrow.  IF all goes as planned I will have some shiny updated pics for you guys tomorrow!! (y)

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Curt:
Cool to see some progress being made.

Based on what I've see @Matt@Fractures and some others do, you should be able to get it back pretty close to a new shine, with the right combination of sandpaper grit, hand sanding, buffing and then waxing  (yes)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version