BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 188
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: 1990 Astro Quickfire 18FDX  (Read 14716 times)

Offline Jrsmith_80

• Minnow
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
    • Jeremy Smith Fishing
1990 Astro Quickfire 18FDX
« on: March 10, 2015, 09:44:22 AM »
Here are a few pics of my old boat.  Its in pretty rough condition as of now, I plan to post progress pics right here in this thread as the wok begins.  I purchased it a couple years ago and have not done a thing to it since.  Its a project that I am going to start working on this fall/winter.  Im going to have the seats redone and then I am going to put down some new carpet and a recessed trolling motor foot control tray.  I purchased to supplies to start working on the oxidation this morning.  The motor is a Mercury Blackmax 150 that has never let me down and runs great.  I love this boat, its pretty heavy but handles the rough waters of Kansas pretty well.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 10:21:36 AM by Jrsmith_80 »
Jeremy Smith
1990 Astro 18FDX
www.jeremysmithfishing.com

Offline ranger361v

• Premium Member
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Referrals: 3
Re: 1990 Astro Quickfire 18FDX
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 09:51:37 AM »
Yep a little clean up and that boat will be sharp.. (y)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 10:53:00 AM »
@Jrsmith_80 Can't wait to see the progress pics!

For seating, I have heard nothing but good reports from people who bought their seats from www.bassboatseats.com  (yes)

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Jrsmith_80

• Minnow
    • Jeremy Smith Fishing
Re: 1990 Astro Quickfire 18FDX - RESTORATION TIME!!
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 10:13:07 PM »
Well I jumped in and started wet sanding the boat today.  I got his a boat a couple of years ago and I am certain that it hasn't been waxed in years.  It is amazing what a little "elbow grease" will do! (whew) I am pretty sure it will never shine like new again but this will probably as close as it will ever get.

I started out with 1000 grit sand paper but quickly jumped to 800 grit for the first pass over the bottom half of the boat.  I must say it looks 1000 times better after sanding then it did yesterday when I washed it, in preparation for the shading.  I have not applied any wax, polish etc... to the boat as of yet, this is all just wet sanding.  I am also just doing the bottom half of the boat for now as it looks a lot worse then the top half.  Here are some before and after pics of the sanding.  I have two more sanding sessions yet to go with 1500 and 2000 grit sand paper.  Hopefully I will get to put a couple coats of paint moisturizer on it tomorrow.  IF all goes as planned I will have some shiny updated pics for you guys tomorrow!! (y)

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:
Jeremy Smith
1990 Astro 18FDX

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 08:43:42 AM »
Cool to see some progress being made.

Based on what I've see @Matt@Fractures and some others do, you should be able to get it back pretty close to a new shine, with the right combination of sandpaper grit, hand sanding, buffing and then waxing  (yes)

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Jrsmith_80

• Minnow
    • Jeremy Smith Fishing
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 12:39:33 PM »
I finished the sanding yesterday and applied a couple coats of some Pro-Tec Nu Paint Moisturizer and also one coat of Pro-Tec Sealer/Polisher.  I am extremely happy with the results so far.  Its not like it was in 1990 on the showroom floor but Im guessing it hasn't shined like this a few years.

This is the product I used, I applied it by hand and also with a orbital buffer.

Heres what it looks like after one coat of the Sealer/Polish

Jeremy Smith
1990 Astro 18FDX

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 02:06:53 PM »
 (y) (y) Looking much better!

Offline Jrsmith_80

• Minnow
    • Jeremy Smith Fishing
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 10:36:18 AM »
Well, I finished the bottom half of the boat yesterday and what a difference a little "elbow grease" can make.  Here some pics of the finished product!! 

Before I started:

Finished Product:

Before:

Finished:

Im hoping to start on the top half next week, but the fishing is likely to pick up anytime now and Id rather be fishing then working on the boat!! <((><
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 10:40:32 AM by Jrsmith_80 »
Jeremy Smith
1990 Astro 18FDX

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 10:40:01 AM »
What a difference!

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal