BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 175
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Recessed Trolling Motor Tray  (Read 25306 times)

Offline fishon-son

• Smallmouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Recessed Trolling Motor Tray
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2016, 08:58:12 PM »
if you put one in curt...have it coated with that stuff they coat truck beds with  can color match it....my sons work trucks are all done on the lower side and around the wheel wells and beds to match     looks good....my boat trailer is coated from stratos  they call it armor coat.....oh   line-x    is whats on my sons truck....
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 09:00:02 PM by fishon-son »

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2016, 12:36:20 PM »
@Nightmare Thank you!

That's the best price I've seen yet. It looks like stamped steel. Is that the case? If so, have you seen any evidence of rust yet?

And did it come with any hardware at all? Screws, drain pipe, template, etc.?

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline bullet20dc

• Smallmouth Bass
  • politically correct impaired
  • Referrals: 2
    • hvbm.org
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2016, 05:52:42 PM »
I did the opposite of nitey  i originally put mine too far forward cause i never used a seat or seat pole. Well im older now and on the rough water occasion I need the pole to keep me in the boat
The flat foot was too far forward so I ended moving it back 6 inches and repairing the deck when I recarpeted lst year   Long story short measure measure measure  sit in the seat stand against the pole even if you dont use it now   Oh yeah drink that beer AFTER the job is done
Ranger Z521C w 250 SHO

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
  • My Biggest Bass: LM 7 lb 5 oz (so far), Guntersville
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2016, 07:59:42 PM »
@Nightmare It looks like stamped steel. Is that the case? If so, have you seen any evidence of rust yet?

It could be steel since it has some heft to it but don't know - never checked it with a magnet....no rust indicated...got what appears to be a good protective coating.

No - does not come with hardware which didn't affect me since I'm the type that usually "adjusts" the original scheme to my own tastes. Can't remember concerning template...don't use 'em....again because I adjust plans to my own tastes and know how to use a square, protractor, etc.

Like Bullet, make sure where you want it. I messed with standing on the front deck for over an hour and still managed to miscalculate where best position was - go figure  :o . Maybe go look at a factory install and measure from post to pit. If you're average height, should be close.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2016, 08:14:08 PM »
Long story short measure measure measure  sit in the seat stand against the pole even if you dont use it now

@bullet20dc Thanks! That's what I was figuring on doing, just in case I do use the pole later or sell the boat to someone who wants to use it.  :thumbup:

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2016, 08:17:10 PM »
@Nightmare It looks like stamped steel. Is that the case? If so, have you seen any evidence of rust yet?

It could be steel since it has some heft to it but don't know - never checked it with a magnet....no rust indicated...got what appears to be a good protective coating.

No - does not come with hardware which didn't affect me since I'm the type that usually "adjusts" the original scheme to my own tastes. Can't remember concerning template...don't use 'em....again because I adjust plans to my own tastes and know how to use a square, protractor, etc.

Like Bullet, make sure where you want it. I messed with standing on the front deck for over an hour and still managed to miscalculate where best position was - go figure  :o . Maybe go look at a factory install and measure from post to pit. If you're average height, should be close.

OK. Thanks. No problem with no hardware. I can get stainless screws right down the street from the local marine dealer. As for the template, I'd prefer that they include on, but if they don't, I'll have no problem figuring it out  :thumbup:

With this particular model, the price puts it within my budget for the immediate future, so I hope to have this done soon  :nod:

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2016, 09:55:43 AM »
http://www.wholesalemarine.com/recessed-trolling-motor-pedal-pan.html

Must have been a dyslexic moment.... $74, not $47. Still a good price.  (shrug)

Well, I just ordered this tray!  :nod:

I went back and read the description again and saw that it's actually powder coated aluminum. So for $75, it's a steal of a price  :thumbup:

Supposed to arrive on Wednesday sometime. Not sure if I'll have the time to install it before the weekend or not, but it'll be in the deck soon enough. Bye bye aching back  o/

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2016, 08:20:23 PM »
The tray arrived this morning!  :nod:

I really want to get it installed before the tourney this weekend (Saturday). Just not sure if I'll have the time to get it done between now and then. Gonna try though!

I'll try to get pics of the process and post them later on.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2016, 09:20:33 AM »
Well, I spent a couple hours working on my new trolling motor tray last night.

I'm about 3/4 of the way through it as of this morning. My old jigsaw decided to go up in smoke (literllay  (giggle) ) about half way through the cutting, so I had to run out and buy a new one.

I finished cutting the hole and I'm now working on removing the necessary flotation foam and doing some light filing of the hole in a couple spots to make sure the tray fits in there snug, but not too snug.

I'll be running out to grab the necessary screws, washers, etc. a bit later this morning so I can finish it up today and be able to test it out tomorrow during my tourney.

This pic shows the hole before it was completely done.

More pics to come when it's finished  :nod:

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
  • My Biggest Bass: LM 7 lb 5 oz (so far), Guntersville
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2016, 10:24:27 AM »
It looks like you have a number of horizontal structural reinforcements (square tubing) showing, that you've cut - correct me if wrong here. You may want to evaluate some sort of vertical reinforcement if so - or your pan may become a storm grate, ending up being a sag in the middle of the deck.

Better to stay ahead of the issue than have to take apart to address later. You got a better perspective there than I do from here....  ;) (whew)

Offline bullet20dc

• Smallmouth Bass
  • politically correct impaired
  • Referrals: 2
    • hvbm.org
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2016, 04:35:59 PM »
what Nitey said   when I did mine I had to cut thru a structural member going left to right.  I legged it on either side and crossed the two legs deep enough under the tray and glassed it all in.  Dont skimp on this or in about 3 years you will wish you had.  Im only 175 lbs but a say stouter guy  (fat   :rolleyes: ) will bow that deck and the lids wont close  dont care what make it is.
Ranger Z521C w 250 SHO

Offline fishon-son

• Smallmouth Bass
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2016, 08:07:33 PM »
scary I bet   id be shitin bricks doing that....dam curt

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2016, 10:15:04 PM »
Got it done!

I have to say I'm really, really happy with the way it turned out

And I'll get to try it out Saturday for a tourney.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2016, 10:18:17 PM »
Yes, there were a couple of supports that got cut, but I checked it out and there are other supports immediately surrounding that opening, so it's still pretty sturdy.

I'll keep an eye on it, though, and watch for any signs of sagging over the next couple of months.

And, yes, cutting that deck was a scary proposition (whew)

« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 03:23:35 PM by Curt »

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2016, 10:19:34 PM »
Oh, and the tray I bought is all welded aluminum. Its pretty rigid, so it won't be flexing much, if any. So that's a big plus too.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 03:24:06 PM by Curt »

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal