Bass Boat Mods > Shallow Water Anchors

Manual Shallow Water Anchors?

<< < (4/5) > >>

crich84:
If you look at the venom pole, how deep is the water he's fishing? Answer is about 3 feet. The nose of a bass boat sits almost 18 in above the water. The pole is only 6 to 8 ft long so at a max you can only stick it in 4 ft of water. I like my flag poles. I can use 8 ft or add another 4 ft when I need it. It's not in the way when not in use and I only really use them crappie fishing which is half the time. You can spend a ton of money on this stuff. I have 50 bucks invested in 3 8ft poles. I cut one in half to have 2 12 ft poles. I made the couplings and tip. Add some JB weld and an old keyring, and that's it. A heavy mushroom anchor is about 25 bucks so it's about even.

Treeman12:
Got any pics?

Curt:
@crich84  What he said ^^^  (yes)

crich84:

The rods are 8 ft long, 3/4" in diameter. I cut one in half and used couplings drilled to 47/64" to go over the rod. I attached them with 1/2x2" setscrews. I made a tip and used JB weld to put it all together. Drill a relief hole for the tip or it will push off with the air having nowhere to escape. I don't have a tee handle but you could put one on there. Use a short piece of rope or cord and a good size keyring to slide the pole through, and that's it.

crich84:
If I did it again, I'd use 7/8 hex for my couplings. Guys at work knurled theirs for extra grip. I'm not very good on a lathe so I left mine smooth. I might primer them or not. It's just rust anyway, which might give me more grip. I'll antisieze the setscrews so they'll come apart when I need to. If you buy the components, it's 13 bucks per coupling. 13×2 couplings (male and female), 13 for the tip and 10 for a plastic handle. Now you see why I made mine. That's another 100 for hardware for 2 12ft poles.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version