BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 586
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Hook Sharpener  (Read 5944 times)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Hook Sharpener
« on: November 21, 2016, 02:05:57 PM »
I'm a stickler when it comes to checking the point of my hooks. I can't even count the number of times I check them during a fishing trip, whether a tournament, guide trip or just for recreation. I just hate losing a fish because the hook point was dull. Drives me crazy  (yes)

So when I find a dull hook, I immediately reach for my trusty little hook file and put a new point on the hook. It usually only takes 30 seconds or less.

For many years I used to carry a battery-operated Berkley Line Stripper with me because it had the little sharpening stone on the top of it. It worked pretty good to sharpen any hook. But you had to be careful not to slip or you'd take the point of the hook right off in a split second  (fp)

Then several years ago a friend of mine turned me on to a great little diamond hook file that works almost flawlessly. Not only does it work great, but it also lasts for a really, really long time. And it costs less than a bag of Senkos.

This thing has saved my butt more times than I can count, helping me to put more fish in the boat simply by keeping my hooks sticky sharp with just a quick touch-up.

If you don't own one of these, you're missing out!

Diamond Hook Sharperner

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Play hard, Fish harder!!!!!
  • Referrals: 0
    • Club website
Re: Hook Sharpener
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 03:10:43 PM »
I like these types of sharpeners, but for the small NED rig hooks they are a pain in the backside to use, the line stripper type you mention works much better for those, and yes you have to be cautious using it.
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax
Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 07:19:44 AM »
I've been carrying one of them in the boat for a lot of years.
If you're too busy to go fishing you're too busy!!

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 11:32:56 AM »
I like these types of sharpeners, but for the small NED rig hooks they are a pain in the backside to use, the line stripper type you mention works much better for those, and yes you have to be cautious using it.

Ya, smaller hooks can definitely be a pain, especially if you have to sharpen the inside of the point and not just the outside. But I rarely fish anything with hooks that small, so it's my best tool for the job  :nod:

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal