BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 57
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Picked myself up a classic - now the fun begin!  (Read 41729 times)

Offline pprice01

• Guppy
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
Picked myself up a classic - now the fun begin!
« on: January 09, 2018, 09:10:06 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I just picked up my first Ranger!  A 1992 392v with a 200HP Mercury XRI 2.5L OB.

I noticed that there is a switch on the dash to select from either the port or starboard tanks as well as a selector ‘dial’? On the front face of the Bench seat base.

Am I right In guessing that the dash switch is only to set the gauge to read from one tank or the other to show the fill level and the ‘dial’ is to actually select which tank to feed the motor from?

They don’t have anything to do with each other, do they?  Meaning if the dial is set to port and the switch to starboard it won’t mean anything other than the motor is drawing from the port tank while I’m watching the level on the starboard tank, right?

I’m sure I will have many many questions to come, but I just want to make sure on this for now.

Thanks,

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
  • My Biggest Bass: LM 7 lb 5 oz (so far), Guntersville
Re: Picked myself up a classic - now the fun begin!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 09:34:57 AM »
I don't have a Ranger but that's the size of it right there. Be nice if they just had the single switch to flip the gauge senders AND electronic valve like used to be on p/u trucks with dual tanks. Don't know anybody ever did that with boats - don't know why not.  (shrug)

Welcome aboard, by the way!  o/

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 10:25:52 AM »
@pprice01 Welcome aboard, Paul!

Congrats on the "new" boat. Sounds like a great little project, learning about what it offers and how to use it all  :nod:

Be sure to post some pics for us to see! You can upload them and host them on www.bassfishingphotos.com. It's free, and unlike Photo Bucket, it allows third party linking to your pics  :thumbup:

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline pprice01

• Guppy
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 11:08:24 AM »
Thanks everyone.  I will try to add photos from Tapatalk. 

Every switch, gauge, and graph (paper-based!) all still work.

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
    • Alabama Fishing
  • My Biggest Bass: 9-3
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 11:14:47 AM »
One of my friends used to have one like that.  Lots of good memories, and that bench seat came in handy taking naps in all night tournaments.
2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Play hard, Fish harder!!!!!
    • Club website
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 12:42:18 PM »
Am I right In guessing that the dash switch is only to set the gauge to read from one tank or the other to show the fill level and the ‘dial’ is to actually select which tank to feed the motor from?

They don’t have anything to do with each other, do they?  Meaning if the dial is set to port and the switch to starboard it won’t mean anything other than the motor is drawing from the port tank while I’m watching the level on the starboard tank, right?

You are correct (yes, I've a Ranger set up the same, most all with under seat tanks are that way) that the dial switches the fuel feed to motor, and the switch selects the tank to read level of. Some also have a center off position on the switch.

Enjoy that Ranger, it's a great boat, and that series was very good even if it's older.
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax
Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel

Offline pprice01

• Guppy
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 11:40:07 PM »
Thanks all!  Next question.  When I test drive the boat I made sure that the water spit out of the engine in a strong stream when it was running, but don’t recall if it came out when the boat wasn’t in gear.  On my driveway with the dog ears on and the motor in neutral, no water comes out of the hole (don’t know the proper name for this hole - water exhaust port?).

Question is whether this is normal when in idle?  A buddy with an older boat says that it has to be in gear to turn the impeller to spit water because the impellers don’t spin unless the prop does. 

Is this true? 

To be safe I only ran the motor for 60 Seconds, but I am curious to see what others have to say.  Going to call my mechanic tomorrow but thought I’d ask here first.

1992 Mercury XRi 2.5L 200hp

Thanks.

Offline bullet20dc

• Smallmouth Bass
  • politically correct impaired
  • Referrals: 2
    • hvbm.org
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 06:10:53 AM »
not true,   the impeller is driven by the drive shaft directly from the motor. It sits on the top of the lower unit before the actual foot. the prop is driven by the set of gears inside the lu that turn the prop shaft,  the 2 are totally separate from each other.  I believe what you're prob seeing is on some plumbing on some motors the thermostats have to open up before you see the tell tail (pee stream) peeing.  On some motors on some years the tell tail is plumbed on a by pass so it pees as soon as the motor starts
Ranger Z521C w 250 SHO

Offline pprice01

• Guppy
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 06:43:32 AM »
not true,   the impeller is driven by the drive shaft directly from the motor. It sits on the top of the lower unit before the actual foot. the prop is driven by the set of gears inside the lu that turn the prop shaft,  the 2 are totally separate from each other.  I believe what you're prob seeing is on some plumbing on some motors the thermostats have to open up before you see the tell tail (pee stream) peeing.  On some motors on some years the tell tail is plumbed on a by pass so it pees as soon as the motor starts

Thank You bullet!

Offline pprice01

• Guppy
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 08:02:03 AM »

Thank You bullet!

How long is reasonable to wait for the pee stream to start without risking damage to the motor from overheating?

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 10:31:49 AM »
@pprice01 Some motors won't pee well using muffs. I had an outboard here in my yard on a boat that I was helping someone sell. It was a 40 HP Yamaha.

Start it up with muffs and not a drop of water would come out the pee hole. Stick the motor in a barrel full of water and it would pee up a storm.

Not sure if that's also the case with your outboard or not, but I thought it was worth mentioning. Maybe someone else will have more feedback on this.

By the way, nice looking boat! Really love that color scheme, and it looks like it's in decent shape.

Oh, and do my eyes deceive me, or is that a paper graph on the console??  (hmm)

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline pprice01

• Guppy
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 10:44:35 AM »
@pprice01 Some motors won't pee well using muffs. I had an outboard here in my yard on a boat that I was helping someone sell. It was a 40 HP Yamaha.

Start it up with muffs and not a drop of water would come out the pee hole. Stick the motor in a barrel full of water and it would pee up a storm.

Not sure if that's also the case with your outboard or not, but I thought it was worth mentioning. Maybe someone else will have more feedback on this.

By the way, nice looking boat! Really love that color scheme, and it looks like it's in decent shape.

Oh, and do my eyes deceive me, or is that a paper graph on the console??  (hmm)

Thank you.  Yes, indeed that is a paper-based graphing relic, and it works!

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 10:50:07 AM »
That's amazing! The detail of the old paper graphs was incredible  (yes)

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Play hard, Fish harder!!!!!
    • Club website
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 12:09:10 PM »
@pprice01 Some motors won't pee well using muffs.

I use a clamp to pull the muff cups against the LU to get a better seal, and turn the water up fairly good, otherwise some of the older ones I've tested wouldn't pee, and would also over heat because not enough water volume.

It wouldn't hurt to do a post-purchase routine that includes preventative change of the thermostats and water pump impeller just to ensure all is good for you.
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax
Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 09:28:06 PM »

It wouldn't hurt to do a post-purchase routine that includes preventative change of the thermostats and water pump impeller just to ensure all is good for you.

What he said!

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal