BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 633
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Picked myself up a classic - now the fun begin!  (Read 45813 times)

Offline pprice01

• Guppy
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Picked myself up a classic - now the fun begin!
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2018, 09:06:56 AM »
yep and i would add a lower unit oil change to that list,  check for water intrusion,  oil will be the color of yoo hoo or coffee with cream in it.  If so change out the seals on the prop shaft and impeller housing. do not reuse the drain and fill o-rings.
Thanks!  I immediately had the lower unit serviced and new impeller and oil change as part of it.

Any idea where I could get that part for the live well?  Also, for replacement where is it?  I’m guessing that I need to remove my battery charger and the cover plate on the bilge to access it?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bullet20dc

• Smallmouth Bass
  • politically correct impaired
  • Referrals: 2
    • hvbm.org
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2018, 10:26:46 AM »
must have missed that post about the livewell part  what is it you need
Ranger Z521C w 250 SHO

Offline pprice01

• Guppy
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2018, 10:59:35 AM »
must have missed that post about the livewell part  what is it you need
From what I’ve read there is an in-line valve that controls the direction of the water flow.  It seems to be broken as the livewells fill a few inches as soon as I launch the boat - even with both switches set to empty.

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Play hard, Fish harder!!!!!
    • Club website
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2018, 11:04:25 AM »
I've always taken the old part out so I could match it to ones I see available online, I use sources like iboats.com, sometimes ebay also. Trying to find the correct one sight unseen of the original is a crap shoot, what if someone changed it from original configuration?
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax
Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2018, 11:36:47 AM »
Anyone know if they still sell parts to replace the valve that controls flow to the livewells?  Even when they are set to empty they still fill a few inches with water.  Thanks.

My guess is that the valve you need isn't unique to Ranger boats. OIt's probably a standard valve that's used across the industry.

Now, as for where to get one, I found several on Amazon: http://amzn.to/2sf9ezT

You'd need to take your old one out and see how it's designed and then find the one that most closely resembles your current one. Unless of course there is a part number on it that you can search for.

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline pprice01

• Guppy
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2018, 11:38:02 AM »
Anyone know if they still sell parts to replace the valve that controls flow to the livewells?  Even when they are set to empty they still fill a few inches with water.  Thanks.

My guess is that the valve you need isn't unique to Ranger boats. OIt's probably a standard valve that's used across the industry.

Now, as for where to get one, I found several on Amazon: http://amzn.to/2sf9ezT

You'd need to take your old one out and see how it's designed and then find the one that most closely resembles your current one. Unless of course there is a part number on it that you can search for.
Thanks everybody!

Offline bullet20dc

• Smallmouth Bass
  • politically correct impaired
  • Referrals: 2
    • hvbm.org
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2018, 04:10:38 PM »
are you by chance talking about the valve that closes the inlet from allowng water to get in or our so it can recirculate. Usually a cable operated plastic flow valve. It is common to have an inch or so left in the livewell due to the way the drain hole is situated in the well. If left open by the time u get home it should  empty by driving up hill on your trip. florite sells them direct or u can save a few bucks on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Flow-Rite-Livewell-Valve-MPV-04-FN01-Fill-Empty-Recirc-Front-Cable/173145154452?epid=1349897389&hash=item2850416394:g:8lEAAOSw5nxadzpn&vxp=mtr
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 04:15:54 PM by bullet20dc »
Ranger Z521C w 250 SHO

Offline pprice01

• Guppy
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2018, 04:12:37 PM »
are you by chance talking about the valve that closes the inlet from allowng water to get in so it can recirculate. Usually a cable operated plastic low valve.  lorite sells them direct or u can save a few bucks on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Flow-Rite-Livewell-Valve-MPV-04-FN01-Fill-Empty-Recirc-Front-Cable/173145154452?epid=1349897389&hash=item2850416394:g:8lEAAOSw5nxadzpn&vxp=mtr
Got to be honest, I am not sure!  I think so, but until I take it apart and see for myself I won’t know for sure.

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
  • My Biggest Bass: LM 7 lb 5 oz (so far), Guntersville
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2018, 04:40:56 PM »
On the valve thing - it doesn't force water in or out, it only allows flow either way. If it's open, water will fill your livewells only to the level of water that your boat sits in. When you get on plane, it will flow out to the level of same (less in wells because your hull is more up on top of the water at speed). If you shut the valve, you can pump water into the wells to the point of the overflow and keep it that way whether sitting still or on plane (what you want when fish are in the wells).

Easy to check if valve is working when sitting on the trailer at home; run livewells full with hose while setting your valve control to CLOSED and the wells should fill up and no water running out the thru-hull fitting - set the valve to OPEN position and water should run out the fitting.

If you already know this and I misunderstand the problem, sorry. If you're unsure what I'm saying, say so and I'll try again.  (shrug)

Offline pprice01

• Guppy
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2018, 05:01:56 PM »
On the valve thing - it doesn't force water in or out, it only allows flow either way. If it's open, water will fill your livewells only to the level of water that your boat sits in. When you get on plane, it will flow out to the level of same (less in wells because your hull is more up on top of the water at speed). If you shut the valve, you can pump water into the wells to the point of the overflow and keep it that way whether sitting still or on plane (what you want when fish are in the wells).

Easy to check if valve is working when sitting on the trailer at home; run livewells full with hose while setting your valve control to CLOSED and the wells should fill up and no water running out the thru-hull fitting - set the valve to OPEN position and water should run out the fitting.

If you already know this and I misunderstand the problem, sorry. If you're unsure what I'm saying, say so and I'll try again.  (shrug)
I think I understand, thanks.  However, if the valve is set to closed, isn’t it supposed to stay dry unless I force water in?

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
    • Club website
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2018, 05:07:44 PM »
And, if it's a typical Ranger, it's a 3-port valve that is FILL/DRAIN/RECIRC not like the one shown in the previous posts

The way it works:
FILL - if you turn on the pump, it will pump water from transom into livewell fill at top of livewell
DRAIN - lets water drain from bottom of livewell to transom
RECIRC - lets water be pumped from bottom of livewell to fill on top of livewell, prevents water from draining to transom

HTH
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 05:10:04 PM by frugalangler »
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
  • My Biggest Bass: LM 7 lb 5 oz (so far), Guntersville
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2018, 05:26:01 PM »
And, if it's a typical Ranger, it's a 3-port valve that is FILL/DRAIN/RECIRC not like the one shown in the previous posts

And that will be a bit different than what I was thinking.   (hmm)

And not necessarily a valve issue, could be the cable from control to valve is binding up and fully extending/retracting. Just another thought.

Offline pprice01

• Guppy
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2018, 05:27:08 PM »
What would be the best way to back flush it to see if it’s blocked?

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
    • Club website
« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2018, 05:36:06 PM »
What would be the best way to back flush it to see if it’s blocked?

I usually test in driveway w/ Garden hose, put in RECIRC and fill livewell, turn on pump, see if it recirculates but doesn't drain on ground, and then turn off pump and put in drain and it should drain - if all that works, then it's /likely/ gonna fill on the lake, that's hard to test in driveway

if you got a muscle shell stuck, then you may have to put a hose up to filler/drain on transom and try to push water thru w/ it in drain position, then if nothing (dirt/shells/sand) comes out drain on livewell, move to FILL and turn on pump and see if it will fill, but this will likely give you a bath holding a hose to the transom LOL

best thing is to pull the false bottom and inspect the valve and that it moves correctly when you move control, failures are either the arm on the valve breaks/bends, the cable gets stuck or broken, or the control arm bends/breaks - not really much to it

it's also possible that water froze in the tubes/valve and cracked it or disconnected something, so inspection is key
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2018, 03:12:16 PM »
And not necessarily a valve issue, could be the cable from control to valve is binding up and fully extending/retracting. Just another thought.

I actually have this problem with one of my livewells. If I switch the valve to Recirculate and pull the boat from the awter, it will slowly leak out the drain pipe and empty the livewell after about 15 minutes.

The other livewell, however, works as intended and stays full for as long as I keep the valve closed. It's been like this since forever and I really need to find out why. But I'm afraid to dig into it because I've never dealt with that kind of stuff before and don't know exactly what to look for.

I guess the only way to do it is to just do it  :nod:

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal